Monday, March 31, 2008

Pet Photography & Lights

I don't know about you all but I've taken alot of pictures of my pets that just weren't that great. Sure, when I took the shot it looked like it was going to be great..but..it needed something. Most often that something is more light..or a different type light. Until last year when I took a photography class I didn't think that much about light, or composition either for that matter. Now, before I shoot anything I look all around me for things that could show up unwanted in the picture. I check out the types of light around me. If I'm indoors I want to see if the light is fluorescent or tungsten. Huge difference there. Fluorescent lighting tends to lend a bluish cast to the subject, whereas tungsten creates an orange cast. So, first off I adjust the White Balance of my camera for the type of lighting. When outside you can adjust it for direct sun or shade. Most of my pet photography is done indoors so there are less distractions. I've found that even with a flash my pictures don't really look that great. A few months ago I purchased a set of professional lights with umbrellas. I place one light to the side of the subject at about 45 degrees. The other light is usually beside me and the camera. It is unbelievable the difference in my pictures now. There are less shadows in the face of the subject & the side lighting really helps to accentuate the coat of an animal. Now my pictures really pop! If you can't afford extra lights you might try a table lamp without the shade. Place it at a 45 degree angle and see if it doesn't really help your photograph. I think you will be amazed at the difference.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Will you be blogging in 2009 ? I sure hope so.

demotutorial said...

I would like to disagree that not too many people have pet photos. I think that it's becoming more and more common now. Especially with lots of tips and advices on how to get a great photograph of your pets!